Monday, March 1, 2010

...and nothing to show for it

It's funny how things go when you're working on a car. I spent a full day on the Monza yesterday (Saturday was magazine day) and I've got very little visible progress to show for it. It was a lot of little things that needed doing, but I guess that's how it goes sometimes.

In the end I got this lot done:
  • Reconnected the propshaft and crossmember link (the crossmember that is just behind the front seats with a connector that bridges across the transmission tunnel)
  • Torqued up the bolts for the transmission, connected the speedo cable and reversing lamps
  • Fitted the shifter gaiters
  • Connected the heater hoses at the firewall and block, dum-dum'ed them up.
  • Cleaned off the alternator and engine earth straps (boy were they dirty), clearcoated and then fitted them.
  • Torqued up the alternator brackets, fitted the alternator.
  • Cleaned up the wiring behind the front panel, refitted the grille
  • Fitted new filler strips below the headlamps
  • Connected up the headlamp washer jets
  • Rebuilt the front bumper and refitted it (mostly - need to pull off the right side arch liner to be able to fit one of the sliders)
  • Adjusted the clutch so it actually disengages when you put your foot to the floor
  • Fitted the starter motor, cleaned the starter cable
  • Fitted the crank sensor for the Motronic

That's about it. The only real visible difference is that the front of the car looks complete now. I got the bumper cover back last week from the bodyshop and noticed when I got it home that they had not painted it as they said they would, so the whole lot's got to come off again when it goes back for its final touch up.

I seem to have lost practially all the bumper fixings (God knows where they went) so I've got to order some more before I can truly finish the bumper off. The fog lamps are the only real problem - they are missing 3 fixing screws so I woudn't want to drive it like this (some hope).

I was hoping to get all the wiring connected up at the starter this weekend (I'm using the starter M8 bolt as a wiring junction for red (constant +ve) wires), but I found I had practically no M8 ring terminals, so I've had to order a bunch from the UK today and that's going to take a week or so to get here. Another delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment