Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Playing the Sardines Game

Did I mention that space is getting tight on this Monza?

Case in point are the headlamps. Sure, it came with a nice four-lamp system, but these days you can get HID headlamps and they give much better light (which is great since I'm not getting any younger and I need all the light I can get at night!). We put HID lamps on the Manta a few years ago and that gave the "fishbowls" a new lease of life. With the Monza I thought I'd go one better and give it HID low and high beams, so I need to find a home for two HID kits.

On the driver's side it should be pretty easy as there's a reasonable amount of space available. On the passenger (right) side it's a different story, with the injection airbox and air conditioning pipes crowding in on the available space. Add to that, I'm trying to mount an electrical item that generates some 23,000V so I need to be careful not to get it directly in the flow of water when it rains (yes, I know the ballasts are waterproof, but would you trust it?).

I did a little measuring on the passenger side this evening and found a solution that I think will work. It's not very pretty, but it does miss existing components and I think meets the "not underwater" requirements. What do you think?

View from the side. The small box on the floor of the inner wing is the main beam lamp ballast and the larger one hiding behind the airbox is the dipped/main beam lamp ballast


View from the top. You almost can't see the dipped/main ballast and the main-only ballast looks reasonably neat

Tomorrow I'll think about the driver's side and then it's back to the endless wiring while I try to make this look like a factory installation!

No comments:

Post a Comment